Takahashi district of Tanto-cho Town is located at Toyooka City in the northeastern part of Hyogo Prefecture. The mountainous area is near the prefectural border with Kyoto and on the Japan Standard Time meridian (135 degrees east longitude).
It prospered in the Edo Period (1603-1867) as Sanin Kaido Road, connecting Kyoto and Sanin region, ran through here. At the same period, many pilgrims also came here in the course of the Kansai Kannon Pilgrimage. Many signposts set up along the road still remain in the district.
Additionally, Tadataka Ino, who completed the first map of Japan based on actual measurement in the early 19th century, visited here with his group to take a survey in January 1814. Their tasks are recorded in Ino’s diary.
The name of Takahashi is derived from the former “Takahashi-go” Village. It consisted of three areas; “Takahashi-no-sho” area which included Yakuoji and Oogouchi villages, “Katano-no-sho” area which included Kozako, Higashinaka, Ushiro, Kubata and Sada villages, and “Sasaki-no-sho” area which included Kurio, Hirata, Shoubouji, Aida and Sasaki villages. The origin of “Takahashi-go” dates back to around 700 A.D, when Takahashi-No-Omi Yoshinari, a provincial official, established an institution to procure the harvested food.
In accordance with the enforcement of the Municipal Government Act in 1900, ten villages except Aida and Sasaki were merged into the former Takahashi Village. The current Takahashi district is formed by nine sub districts except the Shoubouji area.