Sada was the administrative hub of the former Takahashi Village until it was merged to be the former Tanto Town in 1956. Many institutions were built here such as village office, agricultural cooperative office, police station, fire station, hospital and residential houses for doctors. Also, the prefectural apartments were built for the local people who had moved to Manchuria for cultivation before and during World War II and then came back here after the war.
Ancient Sites Kamedani Ruins
The potteries used in the Initial Jomon Period, or around 9,000 B.C., were found at a borrow pit, which is located just 800 meters away from the National Route.
Sada Oogai Ruins
Ground stone tools such as flint arrowhead and stone axe, Yayoi potteries, earthen vessels, Haji potteries and the potteries with ink writing were unearthed at a rice field. The survey proved that many potteries were used in the second half of the middle of the Yayoi Period (the first century).
In addition to Sada Tumulus, there are two tumuli groups in Sada, Ootani Tumuli Group and Kametani Tumuli Group.
Two Medieval Castles
In the Muromachi Period (1336−1573), two castles were built, Bikuni Castle (above) and Ino Castle (right). They were said to function as fire beacon platforms.
Kubikiri Jizo (Stone Statue For An Axed Man)
In the Edo Period, a headman of the neighboring Kubata village was sentenced to death by beheading because he tried to evade the heavy mulberry tax. Later, local people set up a Jizo (stone statue) in memory of him.
The temple was thought to be built at the center of the rice field but reduced to ashes. Later, a burnt fish-shaped wooden drum (used during the reading of the sutras) with the engraving of the year of 1689 and a Jizo stone statue were found. Also, there used to be a pond in its precincts. Currently, the names of this area, Kichijoji, recall the flavor of this temple.
According to the tradition by old people, Tanba-no-Michinushi, one of Shido-Shogun (four imperial generals appeared in the 8th century book “Chronicles of Japan”), had a break in this area. In the past, the statues to mark his visit were erected in the woods on the opposite shore of Izushi River, facing Sasaki-jinja Shrine. After the river improvement, they were moved to the current place. Local people call it “Daijogo-san”.
White Corn Field
Since 2016, as a neighborhood revitalization program, the local community has raised white corn with the advocates for this program. The corn field is open to the public who wants to pick the crop.